![]() |
(Observer file photos) |
Why to go: As Bishop David Malloy has explained (see his column, Dec. 4), visiting these selected churches during the Year of Mercy — Dec. 8, 2015-Nov. 22, 2016 — will entitle the pilgrims to an indulgence. The diocese has designed a pilgrimage “passport” to record your journey. Download a copy at www.rockforddiocese.org/jubileeofmercy/files/Pilgrimage-Passport.pdf.
Each of the deaneries of the diocese has a holy door. Here are the McHenry and Sterling deanery parishes. (See the Dec. 4 Seasoned Observer for the Rockford Deanery, Jan. 8 for Aurora and DeKalb and Feb. 5 for Elgin and Freeport.)
Johnsburg — St. John the Baptist: The first chapel for this McHenry Deanery parish was built in Johnsburg in 1843 on the Fred Schmitt farm, followed by another chapel on the Miller farm, and then by a first parish church. The second parish church in Johnsburg was being built in May 1850, when the Most Rev. James O. Van deVelde, Bishop of Chicago, visited the region. The frame building was used by missionaries until 1852, when the first resident pastor, Father John Jaconnett (1852-1853), was appointed. Father Jacek Junak, CR, pastor, invited Bishop Emeritus Robert Kurtz, CR, of Hamilton, Bermuda, to open the holy door Dec. 13.
Info: Address — St. John the Baptist, 2302 W. Church Street, Johnsburg Phone — 815/385-1477 Website — www.stjohnsjohnsburg.org

Info: Address — St. Mary, 509 Avenue B, Sterling Phone — 815/625-0640 Website — www.stmarysterling.com
(Grand) Kid friendly: All the churches in the pilgrimage welcome children.
— Compiled by Sharon Boehlefeld
Send Destinations ideas to seasonedobserver@rockforddiocese.org